It’s common knowledge that most people in South Florida rely on a car to get around. However, taking public transportation can greatly reduce your costs and save our planet. Here are five reasons why you should consider taking public transportation, such as Broward County Transit and the FREE Davie Campus Shuttle.
- Save money: Between car insurance and gas prices, owning a car can become costly, and that doesn’t even include repairs if you’re in a car accident. Switching to public transportation immediately erases all those costs. According to the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), a two-person household can save more than $10,174 a year on average by downsizing to one car.
- Higher levels of activity and productivity: Walking might take longer, but if you have time to make the trek, you’ll be much healthier. Using public transportation also allows personal freedom and mobility. When you are on a train or a bus, you can catch up on schoolwork, study for test or even read a book if you want.
- Helps the environment: Our use of public transportation reduces our nation’s carbon emissions by 37 million metric tons annually. If you have one 20-mile round trip commute, you can reduce your daily carbon emissions by 20 pounds.
- Drive community growth: Every $1 billion invested in public transportation creates and supports more than 50,000 jobs. When you ride a bus or a train (or even take an Uber), you’re also helping your community!
- Save gas and time: Waiting for a train that is slightly delayed takes much less time than sitting in traffic for an often-unpredictable amount of time. U.S. public transportation saved 450 million gallons of fuel in 498 urban areas in 2011, according to the APTA. In addition, U.S. public transportation use in 2011 saved 865 million hours in travel time in 498 urban areas.
You don’t have to spend tons of money to get around, especially to commute to school. With transportation options provided by the South Florida Education Center (SFEC), you can get to, from and around campus on-time and with ease.